The preschool dilemma

After Holden’s constant requests to go to school, we started making calls around to see if we could possibly get him enrolled in the public preschool system- knowing it would be a long shot since we’re getting into the game pretty late and there is very limited availability.

As it turns out, we called at just the right time, because there was a cancellation- so now there’s an open screening slot.
Holden will have to take some aptitude tests to see if he’s… smart enough? Who knows. It’s preschool, PUBLIC preschool, how much are they really supposed to know? From what we were told, it’s just picking out colors and letters, all of which Holden is very good at, so I don’t think the screening should be a problem at all to pass with flying colors.

All would seem well and good, Holden will be getting exactly what he wants, for free- but there’s a catch. A BIG catch.

In my mind, preschool should be a half a day. Even when I was in kindergarten, the school days were a half day, just to get children accustomed to being away from home and not to overwhelm them.

This preschool does not work that way, not at all.

Their days are from 9am-4pm, 5 days a week, except for Wednesday, which is a half day.
As soon as I heard that, my heart sank. It totally freaks me out. Aside from when I was giving birth to Parker, Holden has never been away from me for more than a few hours, and certainly not in the care of others- only Thomas. Being away from home, and away from me, for 7 hours a day 4 days a week, and 4 hours 1 day a week? It just seems absolutely insane!

Is this normal?? I feel like it has to be a little extreme! I just don’t know how comfortable I am with sending him away for that long every day, after he’s been in my care for every waking moment of his life. I don’t know how HE will handle it, or IF he can handle it… and to be quite honest, I don’t know if I can handle it. This is my baby we’re talking about, i’m not ready to send him away for a full school day yet.

I know he wants to go to school BADLY, and I want him to go because I think he could learn a lot… but I had settled myself on the fact that it would be half days, not whole days.

I don’t know what to do. We certainly can’t afford to send him to a private preschool that does have half days- so it’s this or nothing… and I am completely torn on the matter.

I’m slightly panicking over the matter. What would YOU do?

Posted on June 4, 2011 by Holdin' Holden 0 Comment
Holdin' Holden

About Holdin' Holden