Humpty Dumpty had a great fall

We’ve been pretty lucky in this house when it comes to the types of boo-boos the kids have received. Nothing major. A scraped knee here and there, busted lips ever now and then, and of course- my boys and their massive domes are constantly bonking them into things, so the frequent forehead bruise is never an abnormal sight to be seeing. I don’t do well with blood and guts, so i’ve definitely considered the lack thereof a blessing… plus- who wants to see their kids in pain? Not I.

Yesterday unfortunately changed our years long ‘only minor booboos’ record we had going.

It was one of the first nice days of spring we’ve had, since the groundhog was a big fat damn liar and it’s COLD out when typically- April is a warm month here in VA. Only the second day i’ve put the boys and myself in shorts, so it was obvious I had to take them out to bask in the warm weather.

Very shortly after going outside, Holden starts copping a serious attitude with me. I can’t even remember about what- but it included a lot of backsass. I don’t tolerate backsass.
I informed him that if he gave me the ‘tude one more time, i’d be sending him back inside for time out. Guess what he did next? Yep. Sassed me.
I think he instantly knew he was in deep shit because the ‘tude turned into crying in under 2 seconds. He dragged his feet about going inside, so I walked behind him to help him get moving a little faster. I watched him go up the front steps, get to the storm door, and couldn’t get it open. I swear that thing is the biggest piece of shit on earth. Over time it’s gotten harder and harder to open until now- where i’m having to punch the handle to get it to unlatch every time I want to go in or out.
So it was no surprise to me that I had to walk up the steps after Holden to help him get inside so he could take his time out.

What I didn’t know, is that Parker, who was on the toddler slide at least 10 feet away, had also followed Holden and I up the stairs, and I turned around to see him there only in time to see him lose balance and fall backwards off the top stair (there are 2 total). It all happened in slow motion. I watched him fall all the way back until his whole body hit the pavement, only cushioned because his head hit first. Watched it all and couldn’t do anything to stop it, I couldn’t reach him in time. The sound of a child’s head hitting the pavement is the worst sound I have ever heard, and I hope to never hear it again.
I cried out while running to get him as fast as I could. Scooped him up and held him close to me and then looked for injuries. He looked fine at first glance, but under his hair I could see blood. I pushed his hair aside to see a huge red speckled mess that was obviously swelling at rapid rates. I panicked. I’d never had a child get more than a scrape on the knee. Other than Parker’s sickness and one time where Holden’s penis turned funny colors as an infant (and I can’t remember why, but it was normal, just irritated or something), we’d never had to rush a child to the emergency room.

The only thing I could think to do was to run for help. I called into the house and told Holden (still crying from being in time out) not to move and that I would be right back, and then I ran as fast as I could next door and proceeded to pound on it. Our neighbors are around our age with 3 kids, I figured if anyone would know what to do it would be them.
Both husband and wife came to the door, and upon telling them what had happened to Parker, and taking a quick look at the wound they told me he needed medical attention immediately. They suggested the MedExpress up the street to avoid waits at the ER for a head wound.

At this point, Parker isn’t really crying anymore… but I couldn’t tell if that was a good or a bad thing and with a head injury you just can’t take any chances, so as quickly as I could I got both boys strapped into their carseats and made my way to the “doc in the box”, calling Thomas on the way. He left immediately but I knew it would be a while, but who knew how long i’d end up waiting in the waiting room.

To me, a child with a head injury is pretty serious business… and maybe had I been more panicked or had he been in more dire straights we would have been taken back immediately- but I wasn’t and neither was he, so we had to wait like anyone else.

I think we waited for under 30 minutes, which is pretty good no matter how you swing it. Parker was absolutely horrified of the nurse. You’d think with how often he went to the doctor as an infant, and LOVED it there, this would be no problem for him. Wrong. Red faced screaming, just staring in her face, giving her a look of “WHY??? WHHYYYYY?”, especially after she told us she had to take his temperature rectally since that was their policy there for children under 2. He was not a happy camper. I couldn’t lie him on his back because of the huge painful bloody knot on the back of his head, so I held his ass up in the air, head over my shoulders. Give yourself a visual there. The nurse couldn’t keep a straight face.

The doctor didn’t take too much longer and after an exam, decided that neurologically Parker was ok- but the contusion on his head was so large that it was possible to have fractured his skull. He didn’t THINK so, but like I said- with head wounds you don’t mess around! Not after Natasha Richardson smacked her head on soft snow and died a few hours later.

If I thought the anal thermometer was bad, the head x-ray was even worse. Trying to hold a small child’s head still.. AND he had to lie on his back on a hard table, which i’m sure didn’t feel good on his poor wounded head. He just cried and reached up for me the entire time.

Better safe than sorry I always say- the xrays came back fine. Like they always do- we were told just to keep an eye on him, make sure he didn’t get MORE lethargic and didn’t start vomiting all over the place, because then he’d definitely need an ER visit for a CT scan.

Thank goodness, none of that happened. Parker was fine for the rest of the night. He kept reaching for the back of his head, but other than that- he was his normal self. Maybe a little lazier but nothing alarming.

I hope to never experience that again. I shudder to think of how bad it COULD have been. I don’t know how i’ll ever let the boys play outside again. I’m going to have to bring a baby gate out with me and block the front steps, or tear out the pavement and put down rubber cements or something, because NEVER will I let that happen again. Never never never!

Kids: you can’t take your eyes off of them for even ONE damn second or they’ll attempt to crack their heads open!

Posted on April 5, 2011 by Holdin' Holden 0 Comment
Holdin' Holden

About Holdin' Holden